I’m not sure if anyone else watched “Salut Your Shorts” growing up, but I was always jealous of the kids on that show (even more so now thinking they didn’t have the stress of responding to emails). But summer camp isn’t just for kids anymore. Meet great people + have new experiences. I love seeing so many talented creatives giving back in different ways, and earning a living through these experiences as well. Here’s a list of awesome opportunities around the world:
- Learn photography in Florence, Italy with Italian Fix+ Leela Cyd. There are still spots available! May 19-25
- Study design + typography with SVA in Italy. May 26-June 9
- The Unique Camp is about “cultivating ambition and mapping possibilities” with a mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. June 6-9
- Camp Grounded is “summer camp for adults” in Anderson Valley, California. The idea here is to unplug. June 14-17
- Learn video through The Hill Workshops: Storytelling in Vermont Through Moving Pictures. Teachers include Tiger in a Jar, Michael Martinez and Ryan Marshall. Aug 18-22
- Angela Richie’s Ace Camps pull together some of the best names in creative talent, in fabulous destinations around the world from Morocco to India. ongoing
- Boisbuchet are creative workshops in the southwest of France in cooperation with Centre Georges Pompidou and Vitra Design Museum. This is the perfect excuse to try something you probably wouldn’t otherwise. ongoing
- Squam Art Workshops offers creative retreats in New Hampshire and beyond, as well as online workshops (I met Kerry in Paris this winter who is teaching one). ongoing
There are also conferences, that can be fun + a great way to meet people. Here are a few ideas:
- 99U in NYC (I’ll be there!) – May 2-3
- The Hive Bloggers Conference Berlin (I’ll be there!) – May 25-26
- Open Design Conference, Barcelona – July 6-7
And if you can’t travel this summer, I’ll also be teaching my 3-week online maps class starting May 28th!
Would love to know what other great camps, events and conferences you know of! Please share in the comments below!