I think I first fell in love with books in Elementary School where – through the “Book It” program – I could earn gold stars and eventually free Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, and there were similar incentives at the public library. As I’ve become older and wiser, I’ve learned that there’s a book for everyone out there, and graphic design books have become my guilty pleasure. And now I get a great thrill out of organizing my books by color, rather than subject – something that’s popping up everywhere on the design blogs (note: my bookshelf looks nowhere cool as this picture by Chotda – via D*S).
So, without further ado, in honor of the Baltimore Book Festival that starts this afternoon and runs through the weekend, here are a few of my favorite book related links. Books are yet another fabulous way to travel…
- Baltimore Book Thing– free book exchange
- Book by its Cover – Julia Rothman’s collection and commentary on books and their covers
- Design Your Life – post on artist books
- D.I.Y. – make your own books
- Chronicle Books Blog – blog by one of my favorite publishing companies
- “What’s Your Favorite Book of All Time?”- Urbanite installation at 2006 Book Fest
- 50 Books 50 Covers – exhibition
P.S. Thanks Ace Jet 170 for featuring my transportation photos (which I posted a few weeks ago) on “Found Type Friday” !
September 28, 2007 at 2:06 pm //
Books by color! Once helping out with a used book sale, I was trying to assist a potential customer, looking for history, mystery, etc. NO, she wanted books with turquoise covers to match her decor, subject matter not important! -m
September 30, 2007 at 12:23 am //
Thank you for the nostalgia of Book It. I had completely forgotten about it. I think it should be commemorated with an appropriately cool t-shirt.
September 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm //
I totally did Book It with Pizza Hut as a kid.