Let the Holidays Begin
Despite the fact that the retail world has been ringing in holiday cheer for well over a month now, today is the day that marks the advent of the holiday season as far as I’m concerned. Here are a few picks happening around Baltimore to help get you in the spirit.
- 34th STREET Illumination Ceremony : Saturday, Nov 24th around 6pm [Hampden]- nothing short of a miracle, this event has been a Baltimore staple for 50 years now, causing traffic jams nightly in this local Bmore neighborhood. If this over-the-top holiday cheer in lights doesn’t put you in the holiday spirit, then nothing will.
- BAZAART @ AVAM : Saturday, Nov 24th – 50 area artists and craftspeople get the holidays rolling the first Saturday after Thanksgiving; check out the new exhibit “All Faiths Beautiful” while you’re at the museum
- MICA’s RAW ART SALE : Friday, Nov 30 – art at affordable prices by emerging MICA artists; who knows- you may have a future Monet or Picasso in your hands…
- “THE NUTCRACKER” @ BALTIMORE SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS : November 30 – December 9, showcasing some of the finest talent in town, and they’re still in high school! Check out the nearly finished renovation while you’re at it.
- Charm City Craft Mafia’s HOLIDAY HEAP : Saturday, December 1 @ St. John’s Church (2640 St. Paul Street) local Baltimore crafters do their thing and sell their goods – from aprons to zebra print purses – just in time for the holidays in one of the coolest run down old spaces in town. If you can’t make it to the sale, be sure to check out the websites, as most participants sell online these days
- MICA’s HOLIDAY ART MART : Wednesday, December 5 – Saturday, December 8 [Brown Center Auditorium] – the inaugural MICA holiday art sale with work by students and faculty
- A MONUMENTAL OCCASION : Thursday, December 6th ring in the holidays as the Washington Monument lights up the skies of Mount Vernon. Enjoy a hot cider in the park while you steak out a spot to view the projections, lighting and fireworks.
- HOLLY TOUR : Saturday, December 8 & Sunday, December 9- open house of beautiful historic homes around Mount Vernon. It’s a great way to get a sneak peak into these homes you only dream about as you walk by at night and see the lights on.
- SQUIDFIRE’S D.I.Y. HOLIDAY ART MART: Sunday, December 9 – over 40 vendors from the Eastern seaboard take on the Lyric Opera as their new venue.
- STOOP STORYTELLING “HOLIDAY’S FROM HELL“: Monday, December 10th @ CENTERSTAGE – keep your fingers crossed that your holidays go smoother than these seven 7-minute stories that will likely have you falling out of your seats with laughter. . .
What did I miss? Feel free to add more holiday “must-dos” in the comments section…
P.S. Also keep your eyes open around town. A new movie called “She’s Just Not Into You” starring Jennifer Connolly, Scarlett Johansson and Drew Barrymore is being filmed in town. There have been recent sightings in Fells Point, at AVAM and the Belvedere Hotel.