Summer Camp Around the World
I’m not sure if anyone else watched “Salut Your Shorts” growing up, but I was always jealous of the kids on that show (even more so now thinking they didn’t have the stress of responding to emails). But summer camp isn’t just for kids anymore. Meet great people + have new experiences. I love seeing so many talented creatives giving back in different ways, and earning a living through these experiences as well. Here’s a list of awesome opportunities around the world:
- Learn photography in Florence, Italy with Italian Fix+ Leela Cyd. There are still spots available! May 19-25
- Study design + typography with SVA in Italy. May 26-June 9
- The Unique Camp is about “cultivating ambition and mapping possibilities” with a mission to help entrepreneurs succeed. June 6-9
- Camp Grounded is “summer camp for adults” in Anderson Valley, California. The idea here is to unplug. June 14-17
- Learn video through The Hill Workshops: Storytelling in Vermont Through Moving Pictures. Teachers include Tiger in a Jar, Michael Martinez and Ryan Marshall. Aug 18-22
- Angela Richie’s Ace Camps pull together some of the best names in creative talent, in fabulous destinations around the world from Morocco to India. ongoing
- Boisbuchet are creative workshops in the southwest of France in cooperation with Centre Georges Pompidou and Vitra Design Museum. This is the perfect excuse to try something you probably wouldn’t otherwise. ongoing
- Squam Art Workshops offers creative retreats in New Hampshire and beyond, as well as online workshops (I met Kerry in Paris this winter who is teaching one). ongoing
There are also conferences, that can be fun + a great way to meet people. Here are a few ideas:
- 99U in NYC (I’ll be there!) – May 2-3
- The Hive Bloggers Conference Berlin (I’ll be there!) – May 25-26
- Open Design Conference, Barcelona – July 6-7
And if you can’t travel this summer, I’ll also be teaching my 3-week online maps class starting May 28th!
Would love to know what other great camps, events and conferences you know of! Please share in the comments below!
April 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm //
thanks so much for a spot on this list Anne, I want to attend all these fun camps!!!
April 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm //
My pleasure! Wish I could join you all :)
Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy
April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm //
The Eat, Pray, Move yoga retreats are pretty awesome and are in Italy, France, and Morocco – I know the creator & yoga teacher, Erin, and I’ve heard good things about them (not just from her!)
April 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm //
Thanks so much for the tip, Sara!
April 8, 2013 at 11:32 am //
Alt Summit are soon running an online conference for everyone – aptly named ‘Alt for everyone’; http://alt.squarespace.com/atl-for-everyone/
So tempted to attend, virtually! That’s such great news about teaching another maps class! You’ve reminded me to go back in and finish my course now that my trip is well and truly over! You did inspire me to design a Bordeaux map for my round-up post, though – here; http://bit.ly/XnCVa3
See you in Berlin! xx
April 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm //
Saw that the other day, Lauren. Thanks so much for sharing! :) Great map. I’ve never been to Bordeaux, but saving it for my first visit!
April 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm //
Thank you! It’s a really great city, I loved it. I’d leave some time to jaunt out to a few wineries as well! Mmmm! This is such a great post! I love the idea of adult creative summer camps! Summer Camps don’t exist in Australia, growing up I was always jealous of the American kids in movies that were set at ‘Summer Camp’!
Bianca @ Italian Fix
April 8, 2013 at 9:32 pm //
You rock woman!
Thanks so much for letting people know about our photography workshop this summer in Florence Italy. We are so excited about it.
The Peach Truck | Fresh Georgia Peaches
April 9, 2013 at 2:51 am //
This is such a refreshing blog post. Thank you for your thoughtful topic and amazing resources. People living out their dreams is inspiring. Thank you truly!